Google Ads is an essential tool for a digital marketing strategy as we can impact users with ads about specific brands or products and services with its different campaign formats. As the platform is free to use, you only have to pay for investment into the campaigns; however, if you do not have adequate conversion tracking then the budget which is being used may not be providing the best results.
If you have the tracking conversion process, then information on the performance of the ads can be obtained which allows you to adjust your budgets according to the performance of the ads, in addition to generating different optimizations to improve the campaigns in search of better and more valuable results for the brand.
Different types of conversions exist without that can be measured by downloading applications, product purchases, lead generation, newsletter subscriptions amongst others.
There are also different methods to carry out the conversion tracking, among these is an importation of data from the Google Analytics platform and another is the implementation of conversion tags in the Google Tag Manager (GTM) platform.
Through the GTM platform, it is possible to carry out more controlled tracking by gathering data from the conversion pixel which is generated from the same Google Ads account.
To start this conversion tracking it is necessary to comply with various requirements:
- You need a Google Ads account
- You need a Tener Google Tag Manager (GTM) account
- Install the GTM code on the website
As well as meeting the requirements mentioned for accurate tracking, it is also crucial to understand which steps are needed to create tacking conversion tags and each of these are detailed below:
You need to enter the Google Ads platform > Tools > Measurement > Conversions and click on the New Conversion Action button.
In this screen you can find the four conversion tracking options. For the purposes of the configuration which is being developed in the document, you need to click on the Website box.
For this step, you need to enter the website URL and perform a scan to determine if any conversion option has already been configured or to view some of the suggestions.
On the next screen, you need to add a new manual conversion action by clicking the Add a conversion action manually button.
In the popup window displayed, you need to fill in all the fields with the required information and then press the Done button.
To continue with the process, you need to click on the Save and Continue button.
To finish creating the tracking conversion, you need to choose the Use Google Tag Manager tab. In this section, you can identify the conversion ID and conversion tag, which must be configured on the Google Tag Manager platform.
Within the Google Tag Manager platform, you need to start the implementation of the tracking tags from Google Ads.
- You need to create the Trigger that indicates when the Google Ads conversion will be activated by clicking on the New button.
- When a name is assigned to the trigger and the event is chosen, the platform provides a list of events by default, if none of the events in the list applies then a customized one can be generated.
- As the next step, go to the tag option (Tags) in the left column to generate the new tag which is chosen from a predetermined list and then you need to select Google Ads Conversion Tracking.
- In this screen, add the name, then continue to enter the Conversion ID and the Conversion Tag that was generated on the Google Ads platform.
- You need to associate the created Tag with the Trigger which was created in the previous step and to finish, click the Save button.
- As the last step, do not forget that the event configuration that you did earlier must be published with the button which is located in the top right.
Now, how do you visualize the review of data from Google Ads and Google Tag Manager?
We enter the Google Ads platform specifically in the Campaigns section, once inside you need to select the Columns option and modify columns.
Within the different column options select Conversions, All Conversions and Conversion Value and click the Apply button.
Once the settings of Google Ads column display have been applied, the data provided by the GTM tag can be seen in the columns according to the information selected.
Within the variety of column options select Conversions, All Conversions and Conversion Value and click the Apply button. Once the settings of the Google Ads column display have been applied, the data from the GTM label can be observed in columns according to the selected information.
This configuration becomes vitally important when running Google Ads campaigns as the tags maintain an effective measurement of conversions and their value actions, with this we can more easily determine if the campaigns and the website are fulfilling the objective.